Government Takes Away Basic Freedoms
|September 6, 2002||Posted by Staff under Progress Report, The Progress Report|
Big-Government Bush Concentrates Power
U.S. Govt Uses Fear and Restrictions Instead of American Liberty
After spending billions of taxpayer dollars and restricting the constitutional rights of U.S. citizens, has the U.S. government made the world much safer from terrorism? It’s hard to see the benefits but it is quite easy to see the costs. Every American citizen has lost a number of important rights that made America great and strong. Instead of standing tall and proud, the authoritarian U.S. government is taking a stance that imitates communism by taking away individual rights.
Here is a list, compiled by the Associated Press and circulated by the Grassroots International News Association.
Overview of Changes to Legal Rights
Some of the fundamental changes to Americans’ legal rights by the Bush administration and the USA so-called Patriot Act following the terror attacks:
* FREEDOM OF ASSOCIATION: Government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity to assist terror investigation.
* FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: Government has closed once-public immigration hearings, has secretly detained hundreds of people without charges, and has encouraged bureaucrats to resist public records requests.
* FREEDOM OF SPEECH: Government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone that the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.
* RIGHT TO LEGAL REPRESENTATION: Government may monitor federal prison jailhouse conversations between attorneys and clients, and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.
* FREEDOM FROM UNREASONABLE SEARCHES: Government may search and seize Americans’ papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.
* RIGHT TO A SPEEDY AND PUBLIC TRIAL: Government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.
* RIGHT TO LIBERTY: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them.
So the government has taken away basic freedoms. They seem to think the only way to make us safer is to stop being American and start being communist. What’s your opinion? Tell your views to The Progress Report!