Published Papers and Presentations
by Jeffery J. Smith
President, Forum on Geonomics
Member, International Society for Ecological Economics
- 2011, June 1-4, “Growing Local Economies By Plugging Their Leaks” Congress for the New Urbanism, Madison, WI. Keywords: urban economics, urban finance, economic development, redevelopment
- 2011, January 24, “Space in Cities For Other Species From Geonomics” 9th Annual Ecology and Conservation Symposium at Portland State University, hosted by the Urban Ecosystem Research Consortium (UERC). Keywords: economics, land use planning, sustainable development
- 2010, July 2, “Are Geonomies Both Bountiful and Stable? Feasible Funding for Demo-Dividends by any Sized State” For the Western Economic Association International Conference, Portland Oregon. JEL Code: H; Key words: rent, taxes, subsidies, land, market, forecast
- 2008, March 7-9, “How to make BI inflation-proof while also raising wages” Presented at the US BIG track within the Eastern Economic Association annual conference in Boston at the Park Plaza Hotel.
- forthcoming, “Geonomics for Social Capital”, ISR Journal (Institute for Social Research, Belgium).
- 2006, December; “Beyond ownership” in Re-Public, an online journal in English and Greek focusing on innovative developments in contemporary political theory and practice, Pavlos Hatzopoulos, editor.
- 2006, July, “Financing Transit Systems Through Value Capture: An Annotated Bibliography” – with Dr. Thomas A. Gihring in The American Journal of Economics and Sociology, Volume 65, Issue 3, Page 751. It also is:
- (a) reprinted in Natural Resources, Taxation & Regulation; Laurence S. Moss, ed. (2006), published by the journal above,
- (b) posted by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute on their website (the most comprehensive resource to identify and evaluate innovative solutions to transportation problems), www.vtpi.org/smith.pdf,
- (c) reprinted by the Urban Land Institute (Information Packet #397, “Transit-Oriented Development”, a compilation of articles and reports), 2004 July, ULI Info Services, 1025 Thomas Jefferson St NW, Ste 500 West, Washington DC 2007),
- (d) reprinted by Eco Plan Paris,
- (e) cited in the bibliography of Land Value and Public Transport by the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (within the office of the Deputy Prime Minister) Policy Unit, and
- (f) ordered by Jennifer Boteler, Librarian of the Washington State Dept. of Transportation in Olympia,
- 2004, “Public policy, front and center: Can Eco-taxes counter subsidies?” in Critical Issues in Environmental Taxation II (Publisher, Richmond Law & Tax).
- http://www.srnovaindia.com/EPDSReportRL2004.nsf/customermailformAu?openform&gid=7/5/049:35:36AM23&whoami=Author&Journal=Critical Issues in Environmental Taxation: Volume II&jid=Critical_Issues
- 2003, “Geonomics: Price, Profit, & Other Natural Designs” in Sustainable Planning & Development, by the UK’s WIT Press, edited by E. Beriatos, C.A. Brebbia, H. Coccossis, and A. K. Kungolos.
- 2003, “Geonomics: Recovery of Site-Rents for Urban Density”, posted on the Boston Society of Architects (the American Institute of Architecture’s biggest chapter) website (http://www.architects.org/shaping_communities/index.cfm?doc_id=116); the American Planners Association selected it for publication in Density: Myth and Reality – Perspectives and Critiques.
- 2002 December 22, “The Rich, The Poor, The Tax System”, letter in The New York Times.
- 2002, “Geonomics: Bootstrap Development”, one of five prize-winning essays ($100) in a contest sponsored by the McKeever Institute of Economic Policy Analysis, presented at the UN NGO Conference in Monterrey in 2000 March.
- 2000 November, “Planning by Markets”, in University of Southern California’s Planning and Markets.
- 1999, “Plugging the Leaks in Local Economies”, in Sustainability Review, issue 3.
- 1998, “Giving Life to the Property Tax Shift”, after winning an essay contest, San Francisco’s Redefining Progress commissioned a scoping paper (for a respectable honorarium with Kris Nelson).
- 1994, “Geonomics: building sustainably without taxes or subsidies”, proceedings, the 1st International Conference on Sustainable Construction, sponsored by the University of Florida, the National Institute of Standards & Technology, et al. in November in Tampa,
- 1994, “From Gandhian Trusteeship to Geonomics: Putting Earth in Trust”, anthology, The Commemorative Volume on Gandhi’s 125th Birthday, ed. Dr. Kapoor, Su, California State Univ – Fresno.
For a copy of any of the above, please just ask. You’ll receive it as an email attachment, so be aware! Thanks.