Searching for Common Ground
List of Similar Views Between Libertarians and Greens
The Green Party and the Libertarian Party are the two political parties in the United States not controlled by narrow corporate interests. Do they have some views in common? Let's explore.
Do Greens and Libertarians share some views in common? Of course, within each group you can find a wide range of opinions, but are there some generalizations that can be drawn?
Here is a proposed beginning. Take a look at this list and let us know how to extend it:
- Bring our soldiers home from Iraq immediately.
- Bring our soldiers home from Afghanistan immediately.
- Eliminate corporate welfare programs.
- Do not torture or rape prisoners.
- It is wrong for the government to kill people.
- Withdraw troops from wherever they are not wanted and from wherever they are not directly necessary for the immediate, direct defense of the United States.
- Corporations do not have human rights or civil rights.
- Voting systems need to be reformed to better reflect the will of the voters.
- Do not bring back the military draft.
- The so-called 'Patriot Act' is an attack on the civil rights of Americans and should be repealed.
- The so-called 'War on Drugs' has failed.
- The medical marijuana policies of states should be respected by the federal government.
- Gay couples should have as much right to marry as non-gay couples.
- Responsibility: Polluters should pay for the harm that they cause to others.
- Decentralize: Much of the power of the federal government needs to be returned to the states and the people.
Information on the Green Party can be found at http://www.gp.org.
Information on the Libertarian Party can be found at http://www.lp.org.
Email this page Sign up for free Progress Report updates via email
Extend the list! Name some more areas where Greens and Libertarians may find common ground:
Page One Page Two Archive Discussion Room Letters What's Geoism?